Re: Can't replace default converter.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Roman <Roman_Khlystik(at)ukr(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't replace default converter.
Date: 2009-03-31 13:42:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Roman <Roman_Khlystik(at)ukr(dot)net> writes:
> db_server=# set client_encoding to 'alt';
> This probably means the server terminated abnormally

> Is anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Two suggestions:

1. Use the latest release (from two weeks ago). You are probably
tickling the bug that causes a failure in an output converter to
become an infinite recursion.

2. Don't try to replace the output converter. You don't seem to
need that for your stated problem, and doing so exposes you to
problems in figuring out what's going wrong.

Also, yes, you will need to drop the system's conversion function
(or else mess with your search_path to make yours be found first).