Re: pg_dump on local Windows, pg_restore on Linux?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Phoenix Kiula" <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Postgres General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump on local Windows, pg_restore on Linux?
Date: 2007-08-15 18:08:41
Lists: pgsql-general

"Phoenix Kiula" <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Thanks. Is there an encoding that is so flexible that it will silently
> accept whatever I send to it without throwing an exception?

SQL_ASCII does that. Whether it's a good idea to use it is
questionable. One thing to think about is that you will be unable to
provide translation to and from different client encodings --- the
database will always just regurgitate the bytes it was given, since it
doesn't really know what encoding they are in.