Re: Connecting over UNIX domain sockets

From: Phil Clay <pilf_b(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>, pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com
Subject: Re: Connecting over UNIX domain sockets
Date: 2011-06-27 19:02:19
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 02/08/11 6:55 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:

>I would like to have the option to connect to the database over UNIX
>domain sockets (sidestepping the question of password management).
>
>Even though the JVM knows about UNIX domain sockets, this
>functionality is not exposed to user code, so we'd have to add some
>JNI code. Would you like to integrate this in some way? If yes,
>would you prefer a socket-based or libpq-based approach?
>
>--
>Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
>BFK edv-consulting GmbH http://www.bfk.de/
>Kriegsstraße 100 tel: +49-721-96201-1
>D-76133 Karlsruhe fax: +49-721-96201-99

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm also interested in using
domain sockets with postgres' jdbc driver.

To any potential implementors, I wanted to point out something that might be
useful...

The junixsocket project (http://code.google.com/p/junixsocket/) provides an
implementation of java.net.Socket that uses domain sockets. It also provides a
mysql SocketFactory so that mysql's jdbc driver can be used with domain
sockets.
However, contrary to mysql's jdbc driver, postgres' jdbc driver does not appear
to be designed in a way that a different Socket implementation could be easily
"plugged in".

If the postgres jdbc project does not want the full burden of managing the
native code required for domain socket connectivity, perhaps one approach to
take would be to refactor the postgres jdbc driver in such a way that a
different mechanism for constructing sockets could be plugged in. Then an
implementation could be provided by junixsocket, which already has the native
distribution mechanism.

Just a thought.

Phil