Re: Server hangs on multiple connections

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Christian <davidc(at)comtechmobile(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server hangs on multiple connections
Date: 2002-09-19 22:33:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs

David Christian <davidc(at)comtechmobile(dot)com> writes:
> Happy to. Interestingly, when I build with --enable-debug and
> --enable-cassert, the server doesn't lock up during 'make check', it
> just (very quickly) fails all of the tests and exits. I tried several
> times.

Oh, that's interesting; that says that an Assert() check is failing.
We should investigate that first.

There should be a core file left in the database subdirectory after
the assert failure --- would you gdb it and get a stack trace from it?
Also, you will probably find some useful messages in the postmaster
log (which should be left in the log/ subdirectory of the regress tests).

> (gdb) bt
> #0 0x0fdc297c in __syscall_ipc () at soinit.c:76
> #1 0x0fdc38c0 in semop (semid=4, sops=0x7fffea18, nsops=1) at
> ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/semop.c:36
> #2 0x100e4424 in IpcSemaphoreLock ()
> #3 0x100eb018 in LWLockAcquire ()
> #4 0x100e7f3c in LockAcquire ()
> #5 0x100e7434 in LockRelation ()

Sure enough, it would seem that everyone's stuck waiting for a lock.
But let's chase the Assert first; that might identify the problem.