Re: Including PL/PgSQL by default

From: Andrew Satori <dru(at)druware(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Roberts, Jon" <Jon(dot)Roberts(at)asurion(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Including PL/PgSQL by default
Date: 2008-02-22 16:30:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Speaking as someone who is all about packaging PG for end users, and
in truth could care less what is included by default, I can tell you
that the top 3 requests I get from end users that don't want to muck
around with building and installing themselves are for pl/pgsql,
tsearch2 (now included) and PostGIS.

The reasons are that most people don't want to have to know all the
little details just to get started. Reading through this thread, the
arguments really seem to boil down to 'it's added default bloat that
is not required' and 'it is the procedural language of the platform
and should be included'. (all the security concerns really boil down
to implementation details, SQL injection with standard SQL is just as
dangerous)

As a packager, I respond to customer pressure by solving their needs,
so I pre-package those contrib's as needed, but I do feel that they
should be reviewed as potential core inclusions

Andrew Satori - Owner & Janitor Druware Software Designs
Business Solutions for Small Business
http://www.druware.com/