Re: initdb problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Barwell <jbar(at)es(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb problem
Date: 2007-06-21 23:06:19
Lists: pgsql-admin

Joe Barwell <jbar(at)es(dot)co(dot)nz> writes:
> Fixing the postgres user's home may have been an
> improvement, but now I get problems with the shared memory
> segment:

Hmm ... Apple's default for SHMMAX is definitely penurious, but it's not
so small that PG shouldn't be able to start at all. What do you get
from
sysctl -a | grep shm
? If it shows shmmax as at least 4 million (as I expect), maybe there's
something else already eating shmem --- try also
sudo ipcs -a
Also, which OSX release is this again?