Re: BUG #1009: ERROR: could not open segment 1 of relation...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: nerf-pgsql(at)slacker(dot)com
Cc: "PostgreSQL Bugs List" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1009: ERROR: could not open segment 1 of relation...
Date: 2003-12-17 17:42:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"PostgreSQL Bugs List" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> The errors are similar to:
> "psql:daily_update.sql:332: ERROR: could not open segment 1 of relation "summ_stubcount" (target block 3538944): No such file or directory"
> Note that summ_stubcount is an index.

This appears to indicate corrupted internal pointers within that index.
Have you tried REINDEXing the problem index? Have you checked for
hardware problems?

> The error usually occurs within running the script the first few times
> and the actualy query it blows up on varies.

If you've got a script that can reproduce the problem on another machine,
I'd be interested to look at it. Otherwise I'm inclined to write this
off as flaky hardware.