Re: Tech Docs and Consultants

From: Scott Lamb <slamb(at)slamb(dot)org>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>, Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tech Docs and Consultants
Date: 2003-04-25 16:54:02
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Friday, Apr 25, 2003, at 10:16 US/Central, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 08:51, justin(at)postgresql(dot)org wrote:
>> There was a private mailing list that the people who volunteered
>> subscribed to.
>
> I'd just like to put forth the opinion that the private list/discussion
> is the reason why it never got off the ground.

I have to agree with this. I just don't understand why the websites are
developed so differently from source code. In fact, I just don't really
understand how people get involved in improving the website when
there's not even a public mailing list. I've complained about problems
with the website before and offered to help fix them, in whatever other
mailing list it's spilled over to. I don't have the time to
consistently pump stuff out...but that's never a problem in source
projects. I can contribute a patch, wander off, contribute another, and
my contributions are still welcome. I'd really like to see all the
websites in the same place, with a publically accessible repository,
with commit emails, with public mailing lists. Developed like a source
code project. Can Bricolage (or whatever CMS system you're leaning
toward now) do that?

Scott