database conversion to postgres

From: Jeff Dyke <jeff(dot)dyke(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: database conversion to postgres
Date: 2005-05-18 22:23:49
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm very new to postgres but not to databases. I'm currently working
on a back end platform of Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0 (Sybase) and
would like to move to Postgres. I have a total of 6 production
databases, so about 24(dev/test/qa etc) dbs that need to be converted
first, so I'll have plenty of practice for the prod versions. The
largest of which is ~6G, and the smallest only ~100M.

I've done some searching on and have not found anything quick and
easy, and didn't really expect to, but was interested in any pointers
anyone may have.

The dbs are currently on a windows platform and will remain so, at
least for this first conversion.

I don't mind doing it programatically and that may be my only
choice...PHP/Perl. Currently i connect to sybase solely over
odbc....anyway. Any/all comments and welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff