Re: Sourceforge PG crash

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tim Perdue <tim(at)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, August Zajonc <junk-postgre(at)aontic(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sourceforge PG crash
Date: 2001-04-23 05:21:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Tim Perdue <tim(at)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> Actually it was beta6 that wigged out and wouldn't start up again.

> This is from the PG server log:

> The Data Base System is starting up
> DEBUG: ReadRecord: invalid magic number 0000 in logfile 49 seg 121 off
> 9666560
> DEBUG: redo done at (49, 2039709660)
> FATAL 2: XLogWrite: write request is past end of log
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster: Startup proc 577 exited with status 512 -
> abort

This looks like the problem Vadim found and fixed between RC2 and RC3
(restart after crash would fail if next xlog write point was just at a
page boundary).

> The biggest mistake we've ever made was upgrading from our very very
> happy November 17 pre-beta CVS snapshot to B6 - it was just a nitemare
> that hosed literally several times a day until it finally conked out
> the other day.

AFAIR we didn't hear a word from you about problems --- you really
should have let us know about these crashes...

> 7.1 released seems very happy so far on our linux 2.4 kernel.

Glad to hear it. Please do report any further problems you see.