server crash in to_timestamp function

From: "Ibrar Ahmed" <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: server crash in to_timestamp function
Date: 2008-11-11 12:30:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

While looking at the code base I have encountered a server crash in
to_timestamp function.

select TO_TIMESTAMP ( '2006 1', 'YYYY Q' );
before or while processing the request.

I further debugged the issue and here are my thoughts

[function DCH_from_char]

case DCH_Q:
/*
* We ignore Q when converting to date because it is not
* normative.
*
* We still parse the source string for an integer, but it
* isn't stored anywhere in 'out'.
*/
from_char_parse_int((int *) NULL, &s, n);
s += SKIP_THth(n->suffix);

This piece of code is calling function "from_char_parse_int" with
first argument NULL. The function "from_char_parse_int" in turn calls
"from_char_parse_int_len" which in turn calls "from_char_set_int".
In the function "from_char_set_int" the first argument "dest" is being
derefernced without the null check.

(if (*dest != 0 && *dest != value)

--
Ibrar Ahmed