Re: pg_rewind race condition just after promotion

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_rewind race condition just after promotion
Date: 2023-02-22 14:00:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/12/2022 02:01, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
> 2021年11月9日(火) 20:31 Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>:
>>
>>> On 14 Jul 2021, at 14:03, Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The following review has been posted through the commitfest application:
>>> make installcheck-world: tested, passed
>>> Implements feature: tested, passed
>>> Spec compliant: tested, passed
>>> Documentation: tested, passed
>>>
>>> The v3 patch LGTM. I wonder if we should explicitly say in pg_rewind tests that
>>> they _don't_ have to call `checkpoint`, or otherwise, we will lose the test
>>> coverage for this scenario. But I don't have a strong opinion on this one.
>>>
>>> The new status of this patch is: Ready for Committer
>>
>> Heikki, do you have plans to address this patch during this CF?
>
> Friendly reminder ping one year on; I haven't looked at this patch in
> detail but going by the thread contents it seems it should be marked
> "Ready for Committer"? Moved to the next CF anyway.

Here's an updated version of the patch.

I renamed the arguments to findCommonAncestorTimeline() so that the
'targetHistory' argument doesn't shadow the global 'targetHistory'
variable. No other changes, and this still looks good to me, so I'll
wait for the cfbot to run on this and commit in the next few days.

- Heikki

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-pg_rewind-Fix-determining-TLI-when-server-was-jus.patch text/x-patch 11.5 KB