Re: [HACKERS] numeric data type on 6.5

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] numeric data type on 6.5
Date: 1999-04-27 14:59:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
> I'm looking at this right now. I had coded in a fallback to FLOAT8 for
> the integer types because at the time that was the only other useful
> numeric type. However, I'm going to try changing the code to leave a
> failed INTx token as a string of unspecified type, which would be
> typed and converted later using the automatic coersion mechanism.

That would be good as far as it goes, but what about cases with a
decimal point in 'em? Converting to float and then to numeric will
lose precision.

I'm inclined to think you should prevent the parser from converting
*any* numeric constant out of string form until it knows the target data
type.

(IIRC, INT8 has problems similar to NUMERIC's...)