Re: [SOLUTION] Slow or Cannot Connect to PostgreSQL Instance Service on Windows 10

From: Surya Widyanto <ayrus02(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SOLUTION] Slow or Cannot Connect to PostgreSQL Instance Service on Windows 10
Date: 2020-07-26 01:17:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On 24-07-2020 06:16, Adrian Klaver wrote:

>>> Is there by any chance a correlation between your physical location
>>> and the slowness episodes?
>>> Any AV software in play?
>>>

>> Since this COVID-19 outbreak, I'm working from home. I've try to use
>> different internet connection to test, one with wired connection
>> internet provider on my house, and the other are 4G cellular
>> connection internet from my smartphone and both internet connection I
>> use give the same effect of slow and easy to drop/disconnect
>> connection to PostgreSQL.
>
> I thought you said earlier you where only connecting to the database
> on your laptop at localhost?:
Yes it is a local connection using TCP on port 5432 using local loopback
adapter localhost or IP address 127.0.0.1.

> "The Database is on the same machine/laptop, I try to connect using
> localhost and 127.0.0.1, both have the same slow connection problem."
>
> So Internet connection should not be of concern here or is there more
> to this story?
Yes, I've also try to disconnect from internet connection, and there is
no change on the connection behaviour. It is still slow to connect to
the database and easily dropped the connection.

>> For additional information, I've also had this problem when
>> connectiong from PHP Application, so that total 4 apps I try to
>> connect with PostgreSQL (psql, pgAdmin, Navicat, PHP Application
>> Connection)
>> I'm not installing any AntiVirus software, the only installed
>> AntiVirus software are WIndows Defender that came with Microsoft
>> Windows. (Currently I'm Disabling the real time scan on windows
>> defender)
>>
>> After I activate the DEBUG5 for *log_min_messages* and
>> *log_min_error_statement*, another line of log came up with the other
>> log line I mentioned earlier:
>> 2020-07-22 23:31:29.065 +00 [postgres(at)postgres] - 127.0.0.1(10191) -
>> [1724] (psql) LOG:  could not receive data from client: An existing
>> connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
>> 2020-07-22 23:31:29.065 +00 [postgres(at)postgres] - 127.0.0.1(10191) -
>> [1724] (psql) DEBUG:  unexpected EOF on client connection

After so much trial and error I've finally able to solve the problem
with my connection to my local PostgreSQL server on my laptop. After I'm
managed to fully disable any Windows Defender and Windows Firewall
services, I'm now able to connect to my PostgreSQL server quickly and
without any dropped connection like before.
The error of *DEBUG:  unexpected EOF on client connectio**n *based on my
research on the internet are caused by suddenly dropped connection
between PostgreSQL client apps with the PostgreSQL serve. and most of
the case of dropped connection are caused by some kind of firewall in
the system.

Thanks to Adrian Klaver and Rob Sargent for giving me insight to solve
the problem.

Regards,
Surya