send password to pg_dump

From: shaunc <shaun(at)cranedata(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: send password to pg_dump
Date: 2007-01-21 08:28:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I'm trying to run pg_dump programmatically, and I'm wondering how I can send
it a password.

I'm running it with a system() call in a child process, and sending the
password in from the parent process on stdin, but somehow pg_dump always
finds out how to ask my terminal for a password. How do I fool it?

(I need this to work in linux... in python would be preferable too.)

Thanks for any advice.

- Shaun