Re: Re: 7.2 items

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Swan <tswan(at)olemiss(dot)edu>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: 7.2 items
Date: 2001-06-27 15:40:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian writes:
> Please, consider a BLOB column type without having to do lo_import,
> lo_export.
>>
>> Yep, big needed item.

> Maybe we could make the BLOB type a wrapper around the lo_* functions?
> The BLOB value would only store the oid.

What for/why bother? A toastable bytea column would do just as well.
What we need is an easy-to-use set of access functions, which we haven't
got in either case (without additional work).

I'd prefer to see that work invested in access functions for toasted
columns, because LOs have all sorts of administrative problems ---
security and garbage collection, to name two. We don't really want to
encourage their use in the long term.