Re: Add additional information to src/test/ssl/README

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kevin Burke <kevin(at)burke(dot)dev>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add additional information to src/test/ssl/README
Date: 2021-10-30 18:12:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kevin Burke <kevin(at)burke(dot)dev> writes:
> I probably would not have looked there honestly; I was working in the
> terminal and had the source code right there.

Yeah, that was kind of what I thought.

> "For more information on Postgres's TAP tests, see the docs:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/regress-tap.html"

This doesn't seem tremendously useful, as we'd still have to duplicate
it everywhere. A quick search finds these TAP suites that have
associated README files:

$ for ft in `find . -name t`
> do
> d=`dirname $ft`
> if [ -e $d/README ]; then
> echo $d/README
> fi
> done
./src/bin/pg_amcheck/README
./src/test/authentication/README
./src/test/kerberos/README
./src/test/ldap/README
./src/test/modules/test_misc/README
./src/test/modules/test_pg_dump/README
./src/test/modules/libpq_pipeline/README
./src/test/recovery/README
./src/test/ssl/README
./src/test/subscription/README

The ones under modules/ can probably be excluded, as they're not
there to provide usage directions; but that still leaves us with
seven to touch. I'd be inclined to add just one sentence to the
boilerplate text these use, along the lines of

"If the tests fail, examining the logs left behind in tmp_check/log/
may be helpful."