Re: Performance considerations for very heavy INSERT traffic

From: Brandon Black <blblack(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: petrilli(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance considerations for very heavy INSERT traffic
Date: 2005-09-13 15:30:59
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 9/12/05, Christopher Petrilli <petrilli(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> 3) Use 8.1 and strongly look at Bizgres. The data partitioning is
> critical.

I started looking closer at my options for partitioning (inheritance, union
all), and at Bizgres today. Bizgres partitioning appears to be basically the
same kind of inheritance partitioning one can do in mainline PostgreSQL. Am
I correct in thinking that the main difference is that they've coded support
for "enable_constraint_exclusion=true" so that the query planner can be more
effective at taking advantage of the partitioning when you've specified
CHECK constraints on the child tables? I may go for 8.1 instead in that
case, as the main win I'm looking for is that with inheritance I'll be doing
inserts into smaller tables instead of ones that grow to unmanageable sizes
(and that I can drop old child tables instead of delete/vacuum).