Re: Timeline ID hexadecimal format

From: Sébastien Lardière <sebastien(at)lardiere(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Timeline ID hexadecimal format
Date: 2023-01-30 16:05:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 27/01/2023 15:55, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 27.01.23 14:52, Sébastien Lardière wrote:
>> The attached patch proposes to change the format of timelineid from
>> %u to %X.
>
> I think your complaint has merit.  But note that if we did a change
> like this, then log files or reports from different versions would
> have different meaning without a visual difference, which is kind of
> what you complained about in the first place.  At least we should do
> something like 0x%X.

Hi,

Here's the patch with the suggested format ; plus, I add some note in
the documentation about recovery_target_timeline, because I don't get
how strtoul(), with the special 0 base parameter can work without 0x
prefix ; I suppose that nobody use it.

I also change pg_controldata and the usage of this output by pg_upgrade.
I let internal usages unchanded : content of backup manifest and content
of history file.

Should I open a commitfest entry, or is it too soon ?

regards,

--
Sébastien

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2_0001_timelineid_hexadecimal_format.patch text/x-patch 17.0 KB