Re: Postgres Crashes

From: F Harvell <fharvell(at)fts(dot)net>
To: prem(at)mazunetworks(dot)com (Prem Gopalan)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres Crashes
Date: 2004-05-05 17:49:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This sounds very much like a memory problem. I would replace all of
the memory with another set of (preferably known good) memory and see
if the problems persist. Also look for other cores that may be
dropped. If there are several, memory is the likely cause. Be aware
that it will likely be active, large memory applications (of which
PostgreSQL may be the only one on the server) that will materialize the
issues.

Memory testing application may also show the problem, however, they
do not test like production use. I have had test apps run for weeks
where production use can cause failures in mere minutes. Also, note
that I have seen issues with bad CPU's (bad cache?) that have caused
similar problems.