Re: History question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: "Michael Meskes" <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "PostgreSQL Hacker" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: History question
Date: 2001-11-30 17:29:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at> writes:
> IIRC Postgres started out with the same [but extended] query language as
> Ingres.
> So I think they are not completely unrelated.

QUEL and POSTQUEL are the two query languages in question, I believe.
Never having studied either, I have no clue how closely they are
related.

In any case, I'm pretty sure that Postgres was a completely new
implementation that used none of the Ingres code. The no-overwrite
storage management scheme was definitely a new concept in Postgres.