Re: Client application name

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Client application name
Date: 2009-10-13 16:05:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
> - Is my approach reasonable?
> - What interface should I include in libpq?

I thought the plan was to have libpq look at an environment variable,
compare PGCLIENTENCODING for example. I'm not convinced psql should be
involved in the logic at all --- if it is, there definitely must be a
way for scripts to override the "psql" value. In general the place that
is most reasonable to set the value might be several software levels up
from libpq, which is what makes the environment-variable approach
attractive.