Re: LWLockAcquire problems

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Scott Shattuck <ss(at)technicalpursuit(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LWLockAcquire problems
Date: 2002-08-27 21:27:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Scott Shattuck <ss(at)technicalpursuit(dot)com> writes:
> On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 22:42, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Scott Shattuck <ss(at)technicalpursuit(dot)com> writes:
> I'm seeing the following error about once a week or so:
> 2002-08-13 12:37:28 [24313] FATAL 1: LWLockAcquire: can't wait without
> a PROC structure
>>
>> Oh? I'd love to see what makes this happen. Can you give more context?

> I haven't been able to get any detailed correlation on what causes this
> over the past week and it's not happening often enough for me to turn on
> heavy logging to catch it a second time.

What would actually be useful is a stack backtrace from the point of the
error. If you are willing, I would suggest replacing the line
elog(FATAL, "LWLockAcquire: can't wait without a PROC structure");
with
abort();
(in 7.2 this is about line 275 of src/backend/storage/lmgr/lwlock.c) so
that a core dump is forced when the error occurs. Then you could get a
backtrace from the corefile.

The downside of this is that the abort() will cause a database-wide
restart; I can understand if you don't want that to happen in a
production system. But right at the moment I see no other way to
gather more info ...