Re: CALL versus procedures with output-only arguments

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CALL versus procedures with output-only arguments
Date: 2021-05-24 00:01:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> I think we ought to fix this so that OUT-only arguments are ignored
> when calling from SQL not plpgsql.

I'm working on a patch to make it act that way. I've got some issues
yet to fix with named arguments (which seem rather undertested BTW,
since the patch is passing check-world even though I know it will
crash instantly on cases with CALL+named-args+out-only-args).

Before I spend too much time on it though, I wanted to mention that
it includes undoing 2453ea142's decision to include OUT arguments
in pg_proc.proargtypes for procedures (but not for any other kind of
routine). I thought that was a terrible decision and I'm very happy
to revert it, but is anyone likely to complain loudly?