Re: BUG #5250: Tutorial examples(pre-compiled) not present with precompiled binary version of PostgreSQL.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashish Anand <Ashish(dot)The(dot)Dev(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5250: Tutorial examples(pre-compiled) not present with precompiled binary version of PostgreSQL.
Date: 2009-12-22 14:48:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
> In 12 years of working with PG, I never noticed that directory
> required building manually (which is why it's not it any installer
> from EDB, or the community). Is there any reason for that?

To judge from the RPM examples, you'd probably need special actions
anyway. The RPMs need to change the installed path. I have these
steps in the Fedora/Red Hat specfile:

# Have to hack makefile to put correct path into tutorial scripts
sed "s|C=\`pwd\`;|C=%{_libdir}/pgsql/tutorial;|" < src/tutorial/Makefile > src/tutorial/GNUmakefile
make %{?_smp_mflags} -C src/tutorial NO_PGXS=1 all
rm -f src/tutorial/GNUmakefile

install -d -m 755 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_libdir}/pgsql/tutorial
cp src/tutorial/* $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_libdir}/pgsql/tutorial

It looks to me like the unmodified Makefile builds the .sql files
on the assumption they will be used *in the source tree*. So basically
no installer could use that as-is anyway.