Re: VACUUM warning message.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Rajesh Kumar Mallah(dot)" <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: VACUUM warning message.
Date: 2003-01-27 21:52:19
Lists: pgsql-admin

> I assume this is 7.2.X. I know this is fixed in 7.3.1 but I am not sure
> what release we fixed it in. The HISTORY file doesn't have a specific
> mention of the fix. It is not something to be worried about, as I
> remember.

Mmm, I'm not sure. The known variant of this problem only affects certain
system tables (the nailed-in-cache ones):
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-11/msg00486.php

This is evidently a user table:

> WARNING: Rel site_search: Uninitialized page 1 - fixing

I'd wonder about hardware failures, myself. Does the table appear
to have lost a lot of rows that should have been there?

Other interesting questions are whether the table has recently undergone
a TRUNCATE, or deletion of a large fraction of its rows followed by
VACUUM (probably VACUUM FULL).