Re: row literal problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: row literal problem
Date: 2012-07-20 06:31:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> I think the way to solve this is to do whatever it takes to get access
> to the subplan targetlist. We could then do something a bit cleaner
> than what the named-rowtype code is currently doing: if there are
> resjunk columns in the subplan targetlist, use the tlist to create a
> JunkFilter, and then pass the tuples through that. After that we can
> insist that the tuples don't have any extra columns.

Here's a draft patch for that. It wasn't quite as ugly as I feared.
A lot of the apparent bulk of the patch is because I chose to split
ExecEvalVar into separate functions for the scalar and whole-row
cases, which seemed appropriate because they now get different
ExprState node types.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
whole-row-junk-cols.patch text/x-patch 27.9 KB