Re: 7.4.5 losing committed transactions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.4.5 losing committed transactions
Date: 2004-09-25 03:25:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I guess nobody ever relied that heavily on data to be persistent at the
> microsecond the NOTIFY arrives ...

Sure they have.

In theory you cannot see a NOTIFY before the sending transaction
commits, because the sender is holding a lock on pg_notify and you can't
even find out that you've been notified until he releases it.

Your idea that the COMMIT WAL record is getting dropped would fit the
facts, but I really am having a hard time believing it. Why would the
COMMIT record be more prone to loss than any other record? All the
cases I have seen so far have the right number of non-COMMIT records in
the log, so the bogus transaction is not getting lost altogether.