Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2019a.)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2019a.)
Date: 2019-08-01 17:59:11
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> When used and a symlink, could we resolve the symlink when determining
> the timezone? When loading a timezone in the backend, not during
> initdb. While that'd leave us with the instability, it'd at least would
> help clients etc understand what the setting actually means?

The question here is what the string "localtime" means when it's in
the timezone variable.

I guess yes, we could install some show_hook for timezone
that goes and looks to see if it can resolve what that means.
But that sure seems to me to be in you've-got-to-be-kidding
territory. Especially since the platforms I've seen that
do this tend to use hard links, so that it's questionable
whether the pushups would accomplish anything at all.