Making TEXT NUL-transparent

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Making TEXT NUL-transparent
Date: 2011-11-24 09:06:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Occasionally, we get bitten by embedded NUL bytes in TEXT values. We
take care of generating proper UTF-8, but this additional restriction
sometimes slips by. It would be really helpful if PostgreSQL could
store such TEXT fields as-is (at least if they are computed internally,
or come from query parameters).

I haven't even looked how difficult it would be to implement this. Do
you think it's worth the trouble?

--
Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
BFK edv-consulting GmbH http://www.bfk.de/