Re: Best way to index IP data?

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best way to index IP data?
Date: 2008-01-14 14:05:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

* Michael Stone:

>>Classful addressing is still part of many user interfaces, for
>>instance Cisco's IOS. It's not just that the CLI accepts it, it's
>>also the standard[*] output format (that is, "192.0.2.0" instead of
>>"192.0.2.0/24"; if no prefix length is given, the one based on the
>>class is used).
>
> Again, is this at all ambiguous *in the context of a host IP*? (IOW,
> if I say that I recieved an IP packet from 10.0.0.1, are you really
> going to ask me to clarify the netmask?)

Hmm. It's an argument for a separate CIDR type, not against a host
type.

I agree that a host type would be helpful. I currently use check
constraints to ensure no one accidentally stores data of the wrong
type, which is not ideal (space is not a main concern at this point).

--
Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
BFK edv-consulting GmbH http://www.bfk.de/