Re: simple update queries take a long time - postgres 8.3.1

From: mark <markkicks(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: simple update queries take a long time - postgres 8.3.1
Date: 2008-04-02 14:42:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:19 AM, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, mark wrote:
>
> this really clear! Thannks!!
> >

> This is the first time someone new to this has ever said that about
> checkpoint tuning, which is quite the victory for all of us who worked
> toward the 8.3 functional and monitoring improvements in this area. Please
> keep posting the results after each change, this will make a great example
> for others to follow.

with no clients connected to the database when I try to shutdown the
database [to apply new settings], it says database cant be shutdown.. for a
long time both in smart and normal mode... then i had to go to immediate
mode to shut down.. but then when i start it again.. it goes into recovery
mode and runs for a while..is this the long recover time you are talking
about?
is there anyway I can work around this restarting the database problem?