Re: Deadlock situation?

From: "Dan Armbrust" <daniel(dot)armbrust(dot)list(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Erik Jones" <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Deadlock situation?
Date: 2008-04-29 22:30:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Semantics of deadlock aside, I seem to be deadlocked, yet postgres
didn't detect any deadlock situation.

There are no DDL queries running. Just a lot of updates, and some
inserts and deletes.

I had to restart postgres to let things recover - so I can't gather
any more info right now - but if/when it happens again, I'd like to
know what else to gather.

Looking at the time stamps, the transaction start timestamp of this
autovacuum query is the oldest one:

autovacuum: VACUUM public.iphost 2008-04-24 03:05:13.212436-05 |

Then, between 03:05:37 and 03:05:38, nearly every other connection
came to a halt.

A few connections came to a halt several hours later.

I'm baffled, because this autovacuum query seems to have locked the
entire database.

I also don't know what the "waiting" column means in the output - but
they all have the flag of "f". Does that column means that it is
waiting on a lock - t or f?

Thanks,

Dan