Re: [HACKERS] Doccumentation Patch for Create Function

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bernard Frankpitt <frankpit(at)pop(dot)dn(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Doccumentation Patch for Create Function
Date: 1999-10-02 19:27:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bernard Frankpitt <frankpit(at)pop(dot)dn(dot)net> wrote (a couple weeks ago):
> When I was altering the xfunc.sgml page I came across this:

> <title>Name Space Conflicts</title>
> <para>
> As of <productname>Postgres</productname> v6.5,
> <command>CREATE FUNCTION</command> can decouple a C language
> function name from the name of the entry point. This is now the
> preferred technique to accomplish function overloading.
> </para>

> which seems to suggest that someone had a similar idea in the past. I
> could find no evidence of this functionality in the 6.5 code though

That's talking about builtin functions, ie functions implemented by
statically-linked routines in the standard backend. The SQL name is
now distinct from the C-language name, but that wasn't true before 6.5.
I kind of thought you had seen this and realized it would be a good
idea to have the same functionality for dynamically linked routines.

If you came up with the idea independently, it must clearly be a good
thing ;-)