Re: Comments on Database Broken

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pholben(at)greatbridge(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Comments on Database Broken
Date: 2001-05-21 19:09:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs

pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org writes:
> When comments are added to a database (testdb in this example) (either
> at the point of creation or using the "comment on database ..."
> command) they may be stored either at the system level or within the
> individual database storage area.

There is no such thing as comments "stored at the system level".
Comments live in pg_description which is a per-database table.
I think you are confusing the behavior of comments stored in template1
(which will get copied to subsequently-created databases) with a
true installation-wide table.

We could theoretically answer this by making a pg_global_description
table that is installation-wide like pg_database, but I'm not convinced
that it's worth worrying about. I'm not even convinced that the
behavior is wrong: why shouldn't each DB be able to have its own comment
on the other DBs?