Re: libpq++ tracing considered harmful (was Re: libpq++ memory problems)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Tim Brookes <tim(dot)brookes(at)mcmail(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq++ tracing considered harmful (was Re: libpq++ memory problems)
Date: 2000-04-20 18:22:32
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
>> Perhaps something can be salvaged from the wreckage, but for now the
>> right answer is just to make sure that this code is not compiled.

> And to compile this code you supply _which_ configure option?

It isn't a configure option --- you have to edit libpq++'s makefile
to enable it. Or, in the case of the 6.5.* code, it got turned on
anyway :-(. Fortunately there is no security hole in either 6.5.*
or current, since the code is too broken to actually produce any
trace output, compiled or not. My point was mainly that I thought
we should remove the code rather than fix it.