Re: INSERT/UPDATEs cycles and lack of phantom locking

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: INSERT/UPDATEs cycles and lack of phantom locking
Date: 2006-07-19 15:06:14
Lists: pgsql-sql

* Tom Lane:

> Why do you think that? If you're running in READ COMMITTED mode then
> each statement takes a new snapshot.

Ah, I should have explained that. I might need the SERIALIZABLE
isolation level in the future (this code doesn't need it, but other
things in the same transaction might require it).

In addition, it occurred to me that I get the INSERT failure only if
there is a suitable PRIMARY KEY/UNIQUE constraint on the table. I
haven't got that in all cases, so I need that advisory locking anyway,
I fear.

--
Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
BFK edv-consulting GmbH http://www.bfk.de/