Re: Maintaining the list of release changes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maintaining the list of release changes
Date: 2002-02-08 23:35:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu> writes:
> I think the users that screamed about this would like a detailed "every
> user visible change" list, in addition to the highpoints Release notes.

A greppable copy of the CVS logs would satisfy that, assuming that we
maintain a reasonable standard of quality in our commit messages.
David Gould evidently managed to find my commit message about that
array_out change; but I do not know how hard it was for him to look.

Perhaps we should arrange for a nightly cvs2cl run to produce a "CVS
changes since last major release" document on the website. This might
also help answer Peter's concern about visibility of work-in-progress.

> Tom, you said 'every change is user visible'. I think, for this purpose,
> only things that modify existing behavior (input or output) in kind,
> not merely quality, are 'visible'.

I don't think that's a helpful criterion. "Does it potentially break
any application code?" might be a helpful criterion.

New features that don't pose backwards-compatibility issues probably
need a different set of criteria to decide if they merit mention in
release notes.