Re: 7.4.2 Build broken on (Sparc) Solaris 7 and 8

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jseymour(at)LinxNet(dot)com (Jim Seymour)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.4.2 Build broken on (Sparc) Solaris 7 and 8
Date: 2004-03-14 00:26:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

jseymour(at)LinxNet(dot)com (Jim Seymour) writes:
> Diff'ing thread.c between 7.4.1 and 7.4.2, it *looks* like, at first
> blush, nothing changed that should affect the relevant code.

> Anybody got any idea what's broken?

The relevant change is probably this one:

* configure, configure.in, src/include/pg_config.h.in
(REL7_4_STABLE): Properly set NEED_REENTRANT_FUNCS for threaded
libpq/ecpg.

Without this patch, no thread locking or *_r functions were being
used.

(I also see some post-7.4.1 changes in src/template/solaris, so you
possibly should look there too.)

I'm betting that thread.c never worked on your platform, but wasn't
compiled before.

Easiest answer is probably to not do --enable-thread-safety. If you
really want that, you'll need to dig in and figure out how to make that
code work on your platform. Send a patch if you figure it out.