Re: PostgreSQL :: Catalog Query

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Yogi S <infayogi(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL :: Catalog Query
Date: 2018-07-18 13:48:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net> writes:
> As far as the SQL standard is concerned Postgres' databases do map to the term "catalog" .
> The only difference (or deviation from the standard) is, that they are no real "namespaces".
> In the SQL standard a fully qualified (table) name consists of three parts:
> catalog.schema.table
> however in Postgres the catalog (while it exists as a "thing") is not allowed to be used in a fully qualified name.

You can in fact use the database/catalog name within qualified names:

select * from mydb.someschema.sometable;

But it's purely for pro forma standards compliance. If you give a three-
part name and the first part isn't the current database, you'll just get
an error. In theory we might someday extend this to allow cross-database
accesses, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

In any case, the fact that different DBMSes implement different subsets
of the spec isn't a bug, either ours or theirs.