Re: Please HELP - URGENT - transaction wraparound error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John Sidney-Woollett <johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Please HELP - URGENT - transaction wraparound error
Date: 2005-10-30 16:05:28
Lists: pgsql-general

John Sidney-Woollett <johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com> writes:
> I decided to switch over to the slave which is now our live database.
> the old master with the problem has already been re-inited (although I
> have a cold backup of the data dir), plus dump files that I can restore
> from.

You panicked much too quickly and destroyed the evidence ... unless by
"cold backup" you mean a filesystem backup, in which case what you
should do is restore that and take a look at what's in its pg_database.
I think there's no question that there is some omission in your vacuuming
procedures, and you need to find out what it is.