Re: BUG #3110: Online Backup introduces Duplicate OIDs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Randy Isbell <jisbell(at)cisco(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3110: Online Backup introduces Duplicate OIDs
Date: 2007-03-17 01:24:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Randy Isbell <jisbell(at)cisco(dot)com> writes:
> Well, buggers. That was it.
> The usage of backup_label is not clearly documented in the manual, I
> will submitted a user comment on the 23.3 page of the 8.2 manual.

Please send a proposed rewording to the pgsql-docs list. We do try
to incorporate comments from the interactive docs into the manual,
but it's a whole lot more certain to happen if you send it to the
mailing list.

BTW, the backup process is supposed to result in backup_label being
present in the filesystem dump, so that you'd have had to go out of your
way for it to NOT be present (which is why we didn't think it needed
much documentation). What exactly was happening? If you didn't
deliberately remove it from the dump, there may still be some kind of
bug here.