creating a dumpfile from a view

From: Richard Yen <dba(at)richyen(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: creating a dumpfile from a view
Date: 2006-10-31 00:02:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi, I'm trying to create a dumpfile for a client. The data is
gathered from about 7 tables, and I need to output all the columns as
the client wishes.

I figure the best way to this is to collect data from multiple tables
and putting them into a view, and using the client's desired names to
be the column headings of this view. Then, I'd dump the data from a
view, and it'll all be ready for delivery.

The problem I run into is that when I dump from a view, I just get
the query that defined it in the first place.

pg_dump --table=demtest dbname

Output:
--
-- PostgreSQL database dump
--

SET client_encoding = 'SQL_ASCII';
SET check_function_bodies = false;

SET search_path = amt, pg_catalog;

--
-- Name: demtest; Type: VIEW; Schema: amt; Owner: postgres
--

CREATE VIEW demtest AS
SELECT foo.serial_no, foo.course_id, foo.writer_id,

ALTER TABLE amt.demtest OWNER TO postgres;

--
-- PostgreSQL database dump complete
--

Would anyone know how to dump the data from the view? I tried the
following, but it doesn't work:

Thanks!
--Richard