Re: [GENERAL] Error message

From: James Olin Oden <joden(at)Lee(dot)k12(dot)nc(dot)us>
To: Kevin Heflin <kheflin(at)shreve(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Error message
Date: 1998-06-29 12:24:34
Lists: pgsql-general

> I was working in the psql command line on a particular database, when
> things started to work real slow??
>
> Afterwards, I noticed when ever I tried executing anything on a different
> database, I was receiving the follow error message.. pertaining to the
> original database I had been working on previously:
>
> WARNING: Unable to connect to PostgresSQL server: ERROR cannont write
> block 431 of users [shrevenet_linklist] blind in
> /pathtofilename/file.php3 on line 4
> An error occurred.
>
> the first two links of this error are referencing the origal database I
> had been working in. The last two are in reference to the database I was
> trying to access just now.
>
> Any suggestions to reason for this? And suggestions on how to track down
> such an error? or someway to monitor in real time the POstgres server?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Kevin

Kevin,

Have you tried killing the postmaster process and restarting. It sounds like
something gone south in it or more likely a back end postgress process has
got hung. Anyway, killing the postmaster process should get rid of child
processes also, and when you restart it everything should be OK with your
database. This is just a hunch but I think it will fix your immeadiate
problem.

As to why its happening, your going to have get someone much more familiar
with the source than I to answer that.

...james