Re: [GENERAL] Postgres vs commercial products

From: James Olin Oden <joden(at)lee(dot)k12(dot)nc(dot)us>
To: Chris Johnson <cmj(at)inline-design(dot)com>
Cc: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Postgres vs commercial products
Date: 1998-07-27 18:23:33
Lists: pgsql-general

> > should I pay *all* the Postgres developers so that they will all finish
> > development, testing and beta to make everybody's version the same as mine?
>
> Come on - be reasonable... The person that asked if you would be willing
> to pay some money to get the development of features you want was not
> suggesting that you would have a special version of PostgreSQL. Any
> additions made would wind up back in Postgres itself for everyone to use.

Actually, that is standard operating procedures for most software developers
whethor or not they do it in the Open Source paradigm. Its just too much of a
hassle for the developer to keep track of multiple source streams. It can be
done, but it is a monumental waste of time and money. In the end no one is
happy.

A few times in my career there have been opportunities to get certain features
added to a product, an d it was always understood that in the next release the
features would be there anyway. The key thing was that the company I was working
for knew hot change the software companies priorities. Though, PostgreSQL is a
Open Source organization, it is still an organization inhabited by living
breathing individuals who require finances to survive. So, all the getlemen was
asking was to help him change some of his developers priorities, because in most
cases its awefully hard to turn down a pay for job, in place of free one.

...james