Re: [SQL] can a column be aliased?

From: James Olin Oden <joden(at)lee(dot)k12(dot)nc(dot)us>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] can a column be aliased?
Date: 1998-08-03 17:35:17
Lists: pgsql-sql

D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> Thus spake James Olin Oden
> > I know this is probably a strange question, but can you give a column
> > name an alias? The reason I ask is because I have recently realized I
>
> SELECT table1.oid AS custnum, table2.oid AS salesman FROM ...

OK, I get that, but what if you want to say:

SELECT table1.custnum, table1.name, table2.invoicenum from table1, table2

WHERE table1.custnum = table2.custnum;

and without using the AS clause table1.custnum is pointing to table1.oid?
The idea is in perhaps the creation of the table to do something like the AS
clause, so that I don't have to "know" later that custnum (the key field) is
actually the oid column. The end result with this is to hide the
implementation details of the database from those querying it. I might be
really reaching, but it would be nice if something like this is a
available...james