Re: Can I copy data file and use it with other version of Postgresql

From: "Chad Wagner" <chad(dot)wagner(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: ABC <marblerock26(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can I copy data file and use it with other version of Postgresql
Date: 2007-01-21 14:01:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 1/21/07, ABC <marblerock26(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> We are facing a probelm and its very urgent to sort it out. Please Help.
> The database server unexpectedly shutdown down due to power failure. On
> reboot, Postgresql server fails to start giving following Error:

> LOG: could not create IPv6 socket: Address family not supported by
> protocol
> FATAL: database files are incompatible with server
> DETAIL: The database cluster was initialized with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 0,
> but the server was compiled with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 72.
> HINT: It looks like you need to initdb.

> we are using Mandrake Linux 9.1 and two version of Postgresql
> Version-7.4.2 and Postgresql Version-7.3.2 is installed
> The Data directory is initialised with postgresql-7.4.2.
> Postgresql -7.3.2 is not used .Postgresql-7.4.2 is used for managing
> Postgres Server.
>
> Can I copy the Data Files and use tht Data with other Version of
> Postgresql ??.

Not in this case, you have to dump and restore. You can *usually* take the
data files from "patch" releases, say 8.2.0 to 8.2.1, but minor releases
such as 8.1 to 8.2 often do not work because of changes in data layouts,
pg_catalog changes, etc. It looks like your original data was on 7.2, best
bet is to build a 7.2 server, start up, dump and then restore to the new
server.

--
Chad
http://www.postgresqlforums.com/