How much RAM is too much ?

From: A J <s5aly(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How much RAM is too much ?
Date: 2010-07-22 20:45:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

Cost aside, are there any technical factors to consider before increasing RAM
(assuming the system can support it) ? Is there a sweet spot beyond which more
RAM does not help Postgres or actually harms ?

If my database is only couple of hundred Gigs, can I not just have RAM that big
and have read from buffer all the time ?

Thank you !
-AJ