Re: posgres 12 bug (partitioned table)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: posgres 12 bug (partitioned table)
Date: 2020-08-12 04:08:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 3:02 AM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
>> Medium term I think we should just plain out forbid references to system
>> columns in partioned tables Or at least insist that all partitions have
>> that column.

> Performance-wise I would prefer the former, because the latter would
> involve checking *all* partitions statically in the INSERT case,
> something that we've avoided doing so far.

It's not like we don't have a technology for doing that. The way this
ideally would work, IMV, is that the parent partitioned table either
has or doesn't have a given system column. If it does, then every
child must too, just like the way things work for user columns.

This'd require (a) some sort of consensus about which kinds of system
columns can make sense --- as Andres noted, 32-bit xmin might not be
the best choice here --- and (b) some notation for users to declare
which of these columns they want in a partitioned table. Once upon
a time we had WITH OIDS, maybe that idea could be extended.

I'm not entirely sure that this is worth all the trouble, but that's
how I'd sketch doing it.