Re: Single character bitfields

From: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Tomasz Ostrowski <tometzky(at)batory(dot)org(dot)pl>
Cc: a(dot)maclean(at)cas(dot)edu(dot)au, General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Single character bitfields
Date: 2008-08-22 05:34:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Aug 21, 2008, at 3:45 AM, Tomasz Ostrowski wrote:
> - one byte "char" (with quotes), but it is a non standard, integral
> type, will cause interface problems and I don't know if it will not be
> deprecated some time.

It's used in the catalogs, so I'd say the odds of it getting replaced
anytime in the near future (if ever) are next to zero, especially
considering "it ain't broke, so don't fix it" and that there's
undoubtedly people using it in the wild.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect decibel(at)decibel(dot)org